Find the best pots for African violets to help make watering and care of these indoor houseplants a bit easier.
The adorably fuzzy petals and small structure make African violets a popular choice among gardeners. But caring for African violets is a little more complicated than other plant varieties.
In addition to needing plenty of indirect sunlight throughout the day, African violets also require a specific amount of water to flourish.
African Violets prefer soil that is moist. It should never be soggy. If they receive too much water, this gorgeous houseplant will become susceptible to Root Rot, Crown Rot, Pythium, and other diseases that are deadly to flowers.
Watering from the bottom is the best way to water your African Violets. If watering from the top there is a chance the leaves will become spotted. Spotted leaves can not be removed as this is a form of necrosis. To water from the bottom of the plant, set your planter in a container of water long enough for the soil to get moist.
Self-watering devices are available for those that are concerned about watering their violets incorrectly. These devices eliminate the need to worry about a fungal disease that causes your pretty violets to rot.
One consideration that you may wish to make when purchasing a pot for your African Violets is a self-watering pot. This makes it very easy to care for your beauties and you will never need to worry about overwatering them.
When looking for a pot or container for your African Violets, make sure it is large enough. If you plant your flowers in a pot that is too small, the roots will not develop properly. This will cause them to become rootbound, which will not promote new growth.
Keep in mind that it is advised to repot your African Violets at least twice per year. Some may need to be repotted more than this. This method is called “Potting Up”. You move your plant to a larger pot, using fresh soil.
One of the best ways to ensure your African violets look amazing year round is to plant them in the correct pot. These 10 pots are the best pots for African violets.
How to Find the Best Pots for African Violets
Finding the perfect pot for your violets can be a little tricky. Since your violets need moist soil on a regular basis, you’ll need to find a pot with great drainage to ensure the soil doesn’t get too wet or dry each day.
When picking the best pot for your African violets, it’s best to stick to three pot varieties:
- Self-watering pots. These handy pots feature a water reservoir at the bottom of the pot that evenly distributes water the plant as it needs it.
- Plastic pots with saucers. If you plan to plant your African violet in a plastic pot, choosing one with a saucer on the bottom is essential. The saucer will allow your pot to drain more evenly, ensuring your violets don’t get over-watered.
- Ceramic pots. The porous construction of ceramic pots make them a great choice for African violets. Choose a ceramic pot with a saucer for maximum drainage.
Best African Violet Pots
These houseplant pots are great options for planting your African violets:
Self Watering African Violet Pot
Make sure your violets have plenty of water all the time with this self watering African violet planter.
Featuring a double-layer design, this planter allows access to water to be stored in the bottom of the pot, ensuring that your flowers get only the water they need each day.
- Self-watering: ZOUTOG self-watering planters can store water and provide enough water to your plants, and you don’t have to water your plant everyday. The lazy flower pots help you look after your plants when you are going outside for days.
- Double-layer Design: This self-watering planter has a unique design that allows excess water to be stored in the bottom and be offered to the plants.Also, it can keep insects away from your water and prevents them from getting inside.
- Supreme Quality: These 6 in self-watering planters are made from BPA-free green plastic material, which is light and durable. These lazy flower pots are perfect for your plants
Ceramic Flower Pot
You’ll love the modern ribbed design on these pretty ceramic flower pots. And your African violets will love the drainage at the bottom of the pots!
With a drainage hole at the bottom of the pot and a drainage tray attached, this ceramic pot is a great way to keep the soil moist for your flowers without oversaturating the dirt.
- Dimensions: Large pot: 7 Dia X 6 H inches; Medium Pot - 5.5 Dia X 4.5 H; Small pot - 4 Dia X 3.5H. Set of 3 different sizes white ceramic plant pot. Ribbed exterior creates a contemporary style.
- Ranging from small to medium sizes, this classical white ceramic planter set can display your favorite succulents, flowers, cactus, orchid etc. Multi-role pots are designed to display indoors or outdoors, like bedroom or balcony and patio.
- Each modern planter contains a small hole in the bottom allows water to flow into the attached saucer. Drainage hole prevents the flower pot from overwatering, promoting plant health, to help your plants thrive. Saucer base for catching excess water without drips on the floor. The tray work well for keep table clean.
Plastic Self Watering Pot
The double-layer design of this plastic self-watering pot is perfect for African violets. The water stored in the bottom of the planter provides a continuous supply of water to the flower for up to 10 days. That means there’s no need to worry if you forget to water your flowers!
- ENVIORONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: The PP material is non-polluted, safe and durable. Heat and cold resistant.
- DOUBLE LAYER DESIGN: This flowerpot has a double-layer design with water storage function. The cotton rope absorbs water to keep the soil moist, so you don't need to water the plants every day.
- WATER STORAGE: The water it stores can continuously supply water to plants for more than 10 days. Even if you are on a business trip, there is no need to worry about plants drying out.
Plastic Planter with Drainage
Keep from overwatering your African violets by planting them in a plastic pot with drainage. This planter features drainage holes in the bottom of the pot, along with a bottom tray, to ensure your plants stay hydrated without soaking the soil.
- Drainage Hole: Each plastic planter comes with holes in the bottom to drain the stagnant water and prevent over watering for the aloe Vera plants, snake plants, flowers.
- Free Tray: Simple design with a removable plastic draining tray is perfect to catch drips for potted plants.
- Super Lightweight: Sturdy PVC makes these classy planters stand a good deal of wear and tear, can be used to decorate your windowsill, desktop, shelf, bedroom, kitchen and garden.
Decorative Self-Watering Pot
Add a little bit of style to your African violets with this decorative self-watering pot.
The lower water reservoir of this stylish pot sits below the flower pot. The pot uses a cotton rope to absorb the water below into the flower’s soil, ensuring that your plant gets only the water it needs. And since this high-quality pot is made of ceramic instead of plastic, it’s sure to last for years to come.
- 🌿🌵🌸【Smart Self-Watering System】Unlike other similar pots that is a pot inside of a pot, our double-layer design makes the pot just sits on the lower water reservoir which is much easier to use. The cotton rope absorbs water to achieve self-watering. Specially suitable for those who often forget to water the flowers or for the travelers
- 🌿🌵🌸【Sleek and Elegant】This round flower pot comes in white and gold combination color which makes the pot elegant and stylish. With or without a plant, this plant pot will always become a beautiful and modern piece to any room decor
- 🌿🌵🌸【Durable Ceramic Material】Made of high quality white ceramic instead of plastic, featuring with longer service life while being super durable. They are not turning yellow even after long term use and easy to clean.
Ceramic Pot with Drip Tray
Featuring a hole in the bottom of the pot, these ceramic pots with drip trays are another great choice for your African violets.
Along with the attached drainage trays, the drainage hole will ensure your flowers get plenty of water without you having to worry about adding to much water to the soil.
- 【Pots With Drainage Holes & Drip Pans & Drainage Net】 The hole in the bottom allows the excess water to exit out of the soil when you’re watering the plant. The drainage plates are attached to the bottom of the pots and do not come off. Drainage Net is included, which is designed to prevent planting soil from falling off. (*Plant is NOT Included.)
- 【Set of 3 Modern Design】 Large: 6.5 inches D X 5.3 inches H, Medium: 5.3 inches D X 4.4 inches H, Small: 4.5 inches D X 3.5 inches H. The sizes are different which are suitable for different sizes of smaller plants such as spider plan, nerve plant and succulent or artificial plants.
- 【Contemporary Style】 These elegant and modern pots fit into any decor. Great for decorating windowsill, tabletop, shelf, bedroom, kitchen, garden, and outdoor patio.
Water Indicator Pot
Since most self-watering pots use a reservoir in the bottom of the pot, it’s difficult to know exactly how much water is available for your African violets.
This self-watering pot with a water level indicator takes the guesswork out of watering your flowers. Featuring a clear-view window at the bottom of the pot, you can easily see the amount of water inside your self-watering pot.
- PLANTER SIZE: Capacity 1.0 Gal; Height 6.3 inch; Diameter 7.9 inch; Bottom Diameter 5.4 inch; Water Reservoir 16 OZ
- OUR SELF WATERING SYSTEM WITH CLEAR VIEW WINDOW guarantees the health of your flowers, moist roots for over 4 weeks
- TIME SAVING/HASSLE FREE. The best solution for those who are busy
Injectable Self-Watering Pot
Some self-watering pots are difficult to refill once your African violets have used all the water in the reservoir.
With this injectable self-watering pot, you can quickly and easily add water to the basin from the top of the pot. And the water level indicator located on the top of the pot makes it simple to see how much water is in the reservoir at any given time.
Clear Self-Watering Pot
Another simple way to ensure your African violets have enough water inside their pot is to use a clear self-watering pot.
The clear water reservoir at the bottom of this self-watering pot makes it easy to glance at the pot and see how much water is inside.
- 🍀Self Watering Design---No need to water your plants every day, you can go on vacation, business trip, or outside couple days and come back home to vibrant, alive plants.
- 🍀Easy to Observe--- This clear plastic watering planter is easy for you to see the water level inside the pot at any time.
- 🍀Size---4.7'' X 4.7 '' X 4.9'' (L x W x H), this flower pot is ideal for African violets, herbs, golden devil's ivy, ocean spider plants, etc.
Rustic Glazed Ceramic Pot
Add some rustic style to your African violets with this beautiful rustic glazed ceramic pot. The pot itself is decorated with a drip design and a rich glaze, creating a rustic look.
The pot also features two levels of drainage for your violets, including a drainage hole at the bottom of the pot and a drainage tray to catch excess water.
- Vintage Rustic Style with Drip Glaze Pattern & Layers
- MEASUREMENT: 5.5L x 5.4W x 3.3H inches. Please refer to the size of the soda can in product pictures.
- QUALITY: Durable rich glazed ceramic; smooth finishing, drainage hole and Saucer/Tray. Suitable for places such as desks, window sills, bathrooms, and countertops etc.
Self-Watering Ceramic Pot
Combine the benefits of a self-watering pot with those offered by a ceramic pot with this ceramic self-watering pot. This beautiful planter features an inner pot and outer pot, creating a self-watering planter that will look amazing inside your home!
- Self Watering Pot With Stunning Glazes
- Ceramic Pot has Two Parts (Inner and Outer Pot)
- 5.25" Inner Pot, 8" Outer Pot, 7" Tall
Geometric Ceramic Planter
If you’re searching for a planter for your African violets with a little bit of style, you’ll love this geometric ceramic planter.
The neutral design is a great way to accent your flowers without taking away from the natural beauty of your African violets. But the style of these ceramic planters isn’t the only benefit to adding these pots to your home!
These ceramic planters also feature two levels of drainage for your violets – a drainage hole at the bottom of the pot and a bamboo drainage tray to catch drips.
- Unique Design:brown round ceramic succulent planter's surface engrave exquisite geometry patter.Bohemian style characteristic makes planter more retro.Retro ceramic glaze large succulent planter with craft superb work patterns,lines of smooth and detailed characterization.Perfect good decoration in your house.
- Size:planter 5.5in * 4.3in(D&H),bamboo tray 4.72in * 0.47in(D&H).large enough to planting bunting,aloe,cactus or various plants.
- Drainage Hole & Bamboo Tray:geometry ceramic planter bottom with drainage hole make promote plants breathing and drain off water.Inartificial bamboo wont scraped desk and keep it clean which is ecological and environmental,environment-friendly.
Other African Violet Posts You Might Enjoy: